Subscribe to speak_AsianAmericans
Powered by groups.yahoo.com

email: speakAsianAmericans

Friday, May 27, 2005

5-27-05 Saving Face opens!

Asian lesbians & a naughty mom VERSUS star wars sith.

You decide!


Saving Face is a terrific movie! Speak Asian Americans highly endorses it!!

Saw this @ Sundance Film Festival and fell in love with it! Great story line... kinda like The Wedding Banquet meets The Graduate meets Joy Luck Club...

Dear APA FIRST WEEKEND FILM GOERS:

Below is a special note from director ALICE WU of SAVING FACE.
Her film opens in New York and Los Angeles this weekend and in San Francisco and Boston on June 3.
Show your face at SAVING FACE and vote Asian American at the box office this weekend.

View the trailer at the website:

http://www.savingfacemovie.com


Note from ALICE WU...

Hi there.


This Friday, SAVING FACE opens in theaters in New York and LA. [theater information below] That means that in less than 24 hours, it will be "go time" for us.


I am writing to you from a hotel room in Seattle where I am trying to psych myself up for a frothing email that will send you skipping to the theaters! But instead, I'm struck by how many of you have really embraced this film, helped get the word out, and said it so much better than I ever could.


So I will just leave you with this:


On my way out of Toronto last night, passing through Toronto immigration/customs, I had a nice chat with the guy at the desk. Our conversation ran thusly:


Canadian Customs Guy: So you're a filmmaker. What kind of films do you make?
Me: This one's sort of an old-fashioned romantic screwball comedy.
CCG: Bah. Romantic comedy. That's chick stuff. My wife will probably go.
Me: You might like it actually. The three leads are all beautiful women.
CCG: (considers this) I do like beautiful women. But no male leads? Where does the romantic part come from?
Me: Two of them are lesbians.
[beat]
CCG: Something for everyone then.


Even the damn Canadian customs officials can say it better than I can.


In any case, I really hope to see you in theaters this weekend. (Remember, Star Wars will still be there weeks from now. My film may not. Asian lesbians or Siths. You decide.)


THEATER INFO:


New York:
Angelika (in Soho) Times: 11:00am I 1:00 I 3:15 I 5:30 I 7:45 I 10:00 I 12:00am

AMC 25 (on 42nd Street near 8th Ave) Times: 11:30am I 1:40 I 3:55 I 6:10 I 8:25 I 10:40


Los Angeles:
Laemmle Sunset 5: 12:00 I 2:30 I 5:00 I 7:30 I 10:00 I 12:00am

Landmark Westside Pavilion: 11:30am I 2:00 I 4:45 I 7:30 I 9:40
Pasadena Playhouse: 12:50 I 3:10 I 5:30 I 7:50 I 10:10
Costa Mesa Edwards Univ Town Center 6
and I believe a theater in Encino.


We will be opening in SAN FRANCISCO and SAN DIEGO on June 3, with Boston, Seattle, Chicago, etc following soon after. (the later dates are tentative depending on how well we do in the first few cities.)


Thank you!



Alice Wu